Healthy Eating For Kids
Children are physically different to adults. Their body is in a continual process of growth and development, so body requirements are easily distinguishable from adults. The specific nutritional requirements are based upon healthy diet for optimum growth and development.
A kid’s body needs an adequate amount of nutrition not just anything like junk food to fill his/her tummy. Adding more fast and processed food in a child’s diet instead of vegetables, fresh fruits and cereals, only pushes them towards life long weight issues like obesity. Eating healthy is extremely important. If the habit of healthy eating is not adopted, then it can cause suffering to kids leading them to improperly perform their age-level activities.
In the definition of healthy eating, it varies from one person to another. According to health research, a healthy diet is a choice between what to eat and what not to eat.
- Healthy eating includes plenty of water to maintain a body hydration level and proper detoxification through excretion.
- Good quality protein is required for muscle development and cellular growth
- Children have a high metabolic rate, their heartbeat and body temperature are both higher than adults, so they need more carbohydrates and fats to get essential fatty acids for hormones and cell growth.
- The child’s body also needs a balanced consumption of vitamins and minerals like calcium, iron and vitamin D to strengthen their bones, blood circulation and immune system. Besides these, zinc, magnesium, cobalt, sodium, etc. are also required by the body for proper functioning.
All these requirements can be met by adding vegetables, fresh fruits, cereals and meat in the diet.
Steps to follow for healthy eating habits
All parents want their kids to be healthy, but the main problem that arises is the refusal of healthy eating by kids. Kids usually do not like to eat fruits and vegetables much, therefore parents had to face many issues and had to struggle a lot to balance their kid’s nutritional requirements. For this issue, some following tips are really useful to make your child adopt healthier eating habits.
- Arrange family gatherings and also have regular family meals. Such family meals are like comforting time zones for kids.
- Do indulge your kids in meal preparations and during the preparation highlight the importance of healthy vegetables and other food items.
- Make your food attractive and appealing, as kids usually like to consume attractively dressed and garnished food.
- Add a variety of flavors so that your kids do not get bored of the same food item.
- Do consume healthy food in front of your kids, as kids like to do what their elders do.
- Make your fridge and kitchen cabinets full with cereals, low fat items like peanut butter, yoghurt, milk and snacks made from vegetable powder or other healthy items.
- Do not force your kids to eat.
By implementing on these simple steps you can easily help your kids to maintain healthy eating habits and maintain their nutritional level.